That fire, which is right inside my heart,
it is burning,
growing from day to day.
This, not even forged iron can stand.
My heart is about to melt.
Bedreddin from Hikmet’s Epic of Shiekh Bedreddin
- Dr. King Schultz: Alexander Dumas. He wrote 'The Three Musketeers.' I figured you must be an admirer. You named your slave after his novel's lead character. If Alexander Dumas had been there today, I wonder what he would have made of it?
- Calvin Candie: You doubt he'd approve?
- Dr. King Schultz: Yes. His approval would be a dubious proposition at best.
- Calvin Candie: Soft hearted Frenchie?
- Dr. King Schultz: Alexander Dumas is black.
It shone, pale as bone
As I stood there alone
And I thought to myself
How the moon,
That night, cast its light
On my heart’s true delight,
And the reef where
Her body was strewn.